What to expect with earmite treatment...

Currently I'm using Otomite Plus on my cat in order to treat his ear mite problem. But I'm noticing that his ears look red, and are warm to the touch...

Is this normal when treating ear mites?

Thanks in advance!!!

Asked by Member 1138701 on Nov 1st 2012 Tagged ear, mites, otomiteplus, otomite, red, redness in Medications

Answers

Not really, no. Usually when you treat for earmites, you clean the ears out, medicate them and you're done. This, of course, is best done by a vet since it's not wise to poke around in an animal's ears if your not sure of the anatomy in there. If his ears are red, that indicates inflammation for sure, a possible allergy to the medication and most likely remaining mites. If you've been to the vet, go back and ask them for their advice. If you haven't, now is the time to go. Letting this take it's course could result in deafness or even a brain infection if it gets bad enough. Good luck! Hope he's better very soon!

Ghost

I used ear mite drops a few months ago and it made the hair behind my cats ears fall out! It worked, but it was so harsh I looked into alternatives. You can use olive oil instead of ear drops but if they don't go away, do see the vet. Put some in, rub the ear gently and wipe away what excess you can w/o going into the ear. It took weeks for all the gunk to work its way out of my cats ears.

Ghost answered on 11/4/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer