West

What to do about Natura recall??

My eight-month-old kitten has been having stomach upset problems with his Purina ONE dry food/IAMS wet food combination. So yesterday, we started him on California Natural wet and dry food... And found out that the bag we've been feeding him has been recalled for salmonella!!!

Since we were mixing it 50/50 with the old stuff, he's only eaten about 1/2 cup of dry food and 1/2 can wet food. He's not showing any symptoms (yet), but I've read that some cats can have salmonella poisoning without symptoms.

What do we do in this situation? I've never had this happen before. We'll stop feeding him this right away, but do we take him to the vet to get checked out? Please help!

Asked by West on Mar 29th 2013 Tagged natura, recall, californianatural in Pet Food Recalls

Answers

I can tell that you're really freaked out by this. IMHO, if it were my cat, I'd say at least CALL your vet for peace of mind. Let the veterinary professionals make the decision to see him or not. They will advise you of what symptoms and behaviors to watch for and can also help with the previous stomach upset from the Purina One/Iams. There are Catsters who will give you lots of advice on what to and not feed him, but the bottom line is the ones who should make the decision are the ones who are responsible for his medical care, his vet. I would also contact the store where you purchased this food and tell them they have recalled food on their shelves. Maybe the formula you are feeding him is not the one recalled. But my advice is to call your vet and let them tell you what your next step should be.