What should I do for this sweet cat?

Okay, long story short. I met a beautiful, sweet, friendly orange tabby cat last year. He was beat up from other cats in the neighborhood being fed by the same elderly man that was feeding him. I was working there day after day, painting outside. I began feeding him (he was called tiger woods by the man) I now call him Christian and I took him to be neutered. I have cats already and they do not accept new cats well. Had someone willing to adopt him but they changed their minds after he tested positive for FIV. The vet suggested putting him to sleep but couldn't do it. He has been here living in my basement rooms, and he is healthy looking, playful, never sick. He has a great appetite. And is the most gentle cat I have ever known. Love him dearly. Husband wants me to find a home for him. Noone is interested once they find out he has FIV. Vet says he should be placed in a home with no other cats,and that he could live a very long life. Husband's office space is where he has to stay

Asked by Member 1100837 on Mar 19th 2012 in Other Adoption & Rescue

Answers

This is an extremely difficult situation. You tried to do the right thing, but by caring for this cat, you have accepted respobsibility for him. It's true that an FIV positive cat can live a long, happy life even with other cats, but trying to convince people of this is difficult. If you can bear to, register yourself and Christian with a local shelter or 2. Some people actually will give a home to an FIV positive cat and might be looking for one. If Christian is such a good cat, it's hard to believe that hubby is being so difficult. Explain to him that a happy wife is a happy life and tell him to lighten up. He should be glad you are such a kind and loving person!

Duncan Donut

Izzie is right. Have you spoken to the vet you took him to when he was neutered? They can sometimes put the word out to people who understand that having FIV is not, or shouldn't be, a death sentence for a cat. Investigate the no kill shelters in your area. They do their best to place adoptable animals with "special needs." Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Duncan Donut answered on 3/19/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I am in a similar situation. I have a big, loveable gray kitty that has feline FIV too. I have two cats of my own so I cannot keep them together. My husband has a small business so he is the office cat right now. I am working with an adoption group that I found at my local petsmart.
You may want to contact one of the groups at your local pet store that may help you find him a home.

Good luck!

Maybe if you educate the person who was willing to adopt the cat about FIV, that would change her mind. I have two senior cats right now, but when it comes time for me to adopt again, I plan to adopt a FIV positive cat. The odds are very good these cats will live long, healthy lives. Maybe just email this person information about FIV, ask her to read it and also talk about what a gentle loving temperament the cat has. Also, perhaps have the person visit the cat. If she sees how healthy and sweet the cat is, that will help her bond with him and make her more likely to adopt him.

Here are some links to information on FIV to share with the person who was going to adopt:
www.bestfriends.org
www.catchat.org