What should I do about my cat hater neighbor?

My neighbor hates any animals that even walk on his property, not to mention messing on it. Yesterday, I witnessed him throwing a small stick at a feral cat that was only sitting under his car. I literally watched the cat run across the street, up his driveway and lay under the car. The man came out and tried to corner the cat and then decided to throw a stick at it. The cat is deaf and ran back across the street next door and I came out and told him "just because he doesn't like animals doesn't mean he can throw things at them." I told him that she is deaf and to just chase her away. He said the cat keeps crapping on his property, and that she should just stay away. I told him next time he sees cat poop to let me know and I will personally clean it up. I think he's full of it! I manage these feral cats (10) in the neighborhood and have had them all fixed and vaccinated. Should I warn him that next time I see some mean or cruel act that I will get the police involved?

Asked by Member 185886 on Nov 19th 2008 in Humane Education

Answers

Honestly, there is nothing the police can do. I suppose if he actually killed or injured one of them, they could probably fine him or arrest him for cruelty. But he has every right to not want those cats on his property. I have 5 indoor cats and I love all animals, but even I am not too happy with my neighbor's outdoor cats chasing birds at my feeder and the poop that I find in my flower gardens. I know they did it because I have seen one digging in there and I recognize cat poop when I see it. It's an unpleasant surprise when you are gardening. I can understand your anger at him but the most you have the right to do is to ask him to be kinder and follow through on your offer to clean up the poop. You really don't want to make him more angry because somebody like that will do something terrible to the cats like poisoning them or something if he gets provoked by you on top of being mad about the cats. Good luck with him though.

There is one in every neighborhood. I tell our neighbor to use a water. The cats actually stay away from his property now.

Maintaining a nice piece of property is time-consuming and expensive. I can understand how someone would not apprecitate cats compromising his hard work. If you feed and take care of these ferals and you live next door or close to this person, he sees you as someone who is contributing to his "problem". You are attracting them to your property and also to his. However, you are a responsible person because you neuter and vet these animals. You are not what we in the animal rescue business call a 'feeder/breeder' . There is no way that you can take care of these cats and keep them off your neighbor's property. If he is a true animal "hater", he may well buy a b-b gun (or worse) and start shooting at them. Poisoning them is also a possibility. And, it's difficult to prove who is responsible once this happens unless he makes a threat to harm the animals to you. I would not threaten him. I would, however, visit the law director in your city to see what your options are.