What should I do about leaving my cat?

A few months ago adopted a 3-y.o cat from the local shelter. He is the sweetest lil guy and it's a shame but soon I'm going to have to leave home for a few months. My mom is going to take care of him when I go, but I was wondering if anybody had any experience with leaving a cat for that length of time? Will he remember me when I get back? Right now he's very attached to me (follows me room to room, sleeps in my bed, etc) so I hope he doesn't take it too hard... If you have any advice I would greatly appreciate it!

Asked by Member 1132269 on Sep 24th 2012 in Other Travel & Recreation

Answers

He might be very shy and not communicate with your mom and she shouldn't be insulted. If he is an all around sociable kitty, he should be OK. It depends mostly on your cat and on the people who take care of him. It might help that before leaving the cat, you have your mom begin to feed him, play with him and cuddle him if he'll allow or ask her to pet him while you're cuddling him. You should hand more and more of his care over to her while you're still there. He will probably continue to sleep on your bed and stay in your room and that's OK. Make sure he goes to the vet before you leave and gets his vaccinations updated and a clean bill of health. Make sure that your mom continues to feed him the same food, get the same litter, etc. Keep everything as normal as possible for him. Purrs!