Belle

What should a Spay incision look like?

Belle was Spayed on Tuesday April 9th, 2013. I'm wondering what a normal incision should look like? Hers is a Pinkish color which it's been since I picked her up from the Vet on Tuesday. The area sourounding the incision doesn't feel any warmer than it's been since she was a tiny kitten. It doesn't seem to be bothering her any because she's been slowly getting back to her old self by running and playing (I TRY to minimize that!)There's also no blood or discharge of any kind or color that I've noticed either. She's eating and drinking normally as well. My dog was allergic to her stitches after being spayed and I don't recall them looking like this.

Asked by Belle on Apr 13th 2013 Tagged spay, possibleinfection in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

Spay incisions are pretty nasty looking even when they're doing OK, whether they're stitched or glued. Things to watch out for are leakage of blood,any pus, unusual heat in the area, and separation of the sides of the incision. If Belle is gnawing at the site, lethargic, not eating, hiding, etc., then it's time to worry. She sounds like she's doing very well. As far as trying to keep a good kitty "down", don't stress yourself out. The vet always tells you to minimize their activity, but I have yet been able to do that with dogs or cats. I always trust that if what they're doing is causing them pain, they'll stop just like we would. If things should suddenly change for her, which I doubt, make sure to call your vet for advice. Purrs!