Mr. Tigger

What makes a cat pull there hair out in clumps?

I have two sisters, one about 18 and another about 8 that pull clumps of there hair out, mainly on there sides. They are both healthy as far as I can tell. What can mom do or give them to prevent them from pulling hair?

Asked by Mr. Tigger on Jul 1st 2008 Tagged pulling, hair in Skin Problems

Answers

It could be an allergy (itchy skin). The next time you find clumps of hair, check to see if there is a hard mat in it. My Delilah is a long-haired kitty and she also pulls out hair, but it's usually got a mat in it. It's part of their grooming ritual. If your kitties are just pulling out clumps of hair with no mats in it, then they made need a food supplement for dry skin or some allergy meds.

Molly

There are generally three reasons why this happens:

1. Allergy. Take them to the vet ad ask about conducting an allergy test. They may need periodic injections, usually seasonally.

2. Fleas. Do you regularly treat for fleas with a product like Advantage or Frontline? Even if you don't see fleas, you might have them.

3. Stress. Many cats will pull thier hair out because something in their environent is stressful. This is known as overgrooming. Has something changed at home? Are they on a new food? Is there a new person? Are you fixed? It could be stress from going into heat. Think about the environment from the cat's point of view.

One product you can try is Pet-Ease www.petsmart.com It emits a fragrance that sooths cat nerves and might let them relax enough to stop overgrooming.

Good luck!

Maria
www.CatLadiesSociety.com

Molly answered on 7/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

In order to make life a bit easier for you, you might try KleenSheets. They are disposable covers for your cats' beds. Picks up all of the hair, then you can toss it. KleenSheets.com

My name is Cinder and I pull hair out ALL the time. I am part Russian Blue and have all these bare patches on my legs and tail. I have been to the vet and he suggested stress, flea allergy or skin condition. I am a very relaxed happy cat so I don't think it's stress, my Mom keeps a very close watch on fleas and treat me regularly and the vet ruled out a skin problem. Mom finds little clumps of hair everywhere! My Mom thinks it's just a habit like nail biting because I really seems to enjoy it. She has started telling me to stop when I start pulling out my hair. It's so hard to stop!