what litter is the best?

my litter stinks really bad. and i cant handle it!! whats the best litter? i clean almost everyday, but it still stinks REALLY bad!! HELP!!! and what is the best products for removing cat odors?

Asked by Member 1069349 on Nov 8th 2011 in Odor Eliminators

Answers

I use an automatic scooping cat box. They are a little expensive ($100) and the cat litter refills are also (15) but it works great. I have 2 adult cats and they both use it. I am told my house always smells nice.

Actually, although most of us do "forget" occasionally, cat boxes should be scooped EVERY day. The litter should be replaced once a week which I am going to do as soon as I can tear myself away from Catster. The litter should be discarded and the box scrubbed with Lysol or some other cleaner and rinsed very well. Then dry the box and replace the litter. Remember that ALL poop stinks, even though I have in-law relations who act like their's doesn't. That's probably why toilets flush. If you think your cat's you know what stinks TOO bad, it may be his diet, and there are also medical conditions that can cause overly stinky poo. If he hasn't been to the vet in a while, it might not be a bad idea to go. Try to avoid spraying things like Febreeze around the box because that can irritate their lungs. Vacuum around the box in cause you missed any "escapees". And try to be diligent about scooping the box as often as you can. That makes a BIG difference.

I do not believe that cleaning "almost" every day is often enough, regardless of the litter you use. The litterbox should be scooped (or the litter changed, if you use non-clumping) at least twice a day, in my opinion. Poop stinks, it just does, and the only way to eliminate the smell is to eliminate the waste.

If you like scoopable clay litter, I've found that Fresh Step Scoopable Unscented is the best litter for us. It has no scent on its own, it clumps very well, and it seems to control odor between scoopings. Hope this helps!

Elika

I think choice of litter should depend on how many cats you have. I have only one cat and I use Tidy Cats 24/7 protection. I scoop the box every other day and add fresh litter once a week. Mom has told me I can keep my cat ONLY if she NEVER NOT ONCE smells the litter box.

It's been months and I still have my cat if that tells you anything ;).

Elika answered on 11/9/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Roush

I use a Multi-Cat litter - even though I only have one cat! I also add Arm & Hammer Deoderizer to the top of the litter so that as my cat digs it gets mixed in to where he's going to the potty :)

It could be your cats diet, or does he have some kind of infection? That could makes things smell worse!

Good luck!

Roush answered on 11/9/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

There appear to be several cats in your family. Are they all indoors using the litterbox? First of all, do you have enough boxes? One per cat plus one extra? And as the others have stated, scoop EVERY day. In fact if the smell is bothering you, scoop twice a day like I do. I actually have less boxes than I should for the size of my cat family but I keep them super clean. I am sure that people expect my house to stink with 10 cats so I am very sensitive about making sure that it doesn't. I use Arm & Hammer Double Duty. They sell the 40 lb box at BJs for 12.99. It works really well and is low on dust. Scoop Away also works really well for odor but it's very perfumey and dusty. Another mistake people make is adding to the litter instead of changing it and cleaning the box. Once a week, dump it all out, clean the box thoroughly and replace with fresh litter.

Having the right cat litter for your kitty is important. Litter box aversion or inappropriate urination is a frequent problem in cats and therefore you want to do everything you can to choose the right cat litter product. There are several brands and varieties available from which to choose in cat litter. Here are some tips to help you choose the right one.

Features to Consider in Cat Litter

* Materials
* Attractiveness to Cat
* Dust
* Easy to use
* Cost
* Safety
* Scent
* Environmentally friendly
* Frequency of Scooping vs. throw away
* Flush able

Ideal Choice for Cat Litter

*There are several very good cat litter alternatives. The ideal cat litter is one that he or she likes! If you don't know your cat's preference, then for kittens, regular clay cat litter might be a good choice to start.

www.dogkennelsoutlet.co.uk

www.chickencoopsoutlet.co.uk

www.rabbitrunsandhutches.co.uk