What is this bump?

Hi all! My cat is about 11 years old and he has this odd bump on his back. It has been there for about a year now. It is about the size of a pea. Please help me out. We went to the vet for a check up and they didn't say anything about it.

Asked by Member 1158214 on Mar 6th 2013 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Lily

Take your cat to the vet and point out the bump to your vet and ask your vet what it is. The vet may have simply missed it at your checkup. The bump may be anything from a benign sebaceous cyst or other benign growth to a foreign body (I once had a cat who had a black bump just under the skin of her ear, it turned out to be a piece of some kind of ammunition from a gun. Obviously someone had shot the cat at some time in her life), to a cancer. The vet will be able to biopsy it & give you a definitive diagnosis & advise you as to the best way to treat it. If it's cancerous, localized & slow growing, the sooner it's removed the better. If it's benign & not of a type that can turn cancerous & the vet opts not to remove it, at least you'll have the peace of mind knowing it's harmless. At your cat's age its best not to take chances.

Lily answered on 3/6/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer