What is the foul odor from were my pets are most

I have 1 male cat,1 female cat& 1 female dog.All are 12 years old& fixed.There is a really bad odor in the room they spend most of their time.If you smell their fur it does not smell.Sometimes when in the room you can get a sudden strong smell of it.What possibilities are there?

Asked by Member 1158474 on Mar 7th 2013 in Illness & Disease

Answers

maybe someone is peeing or wiping anal glands?? Not sure, I would get a black light and look around. If there is anything there it should show up and then you can hopefully clean it up.

If it smells in the room when they aren't in it, then I'd say the black light/clean-up idea is great. However, since your cats and dog are 84 in human years, it's possible they have digestive issues and it announces itself with--well--tooting if you know what I mean. I'd check their diet and make sure they aren't getting into human food and that they are are "senior" pet food. Make sure the dog isn't getting into the cat boxes. Also, check their teeth. They (or even just one) may have dental issues and you're smelling bad breath or an infected tooth or gum. If your cats like to hunt critters, make sure they didn't bring one inside without you knowing and leave it somplace in that room. In the end, if the smell remains and it's REALLY objectionable, you may have to completely clean the room, the rugs, whatever else is in there and take all 3 to the vet's to rule out health issues. Infections often manifest themselves by causing bad odors.

Can you be more specific as to what the odor is? Urine? Feces? Something else?