Louie (1996-2013)

What is the best way to dry catnip?

I am moving soon, and with winter coming don't want my 2 big potted catnip plants to go to waste.

What's the best way to dry it, and how long does it take? Should I just keep the leaves once it's dry, or should I grind up the stems too?

Asked by Louie (1996-2013) on Sep 29th 2008 Tagged catnip in Treats

Answers

I grew catnip over the summer also. After a while, though, the plants got very big and unsightly. Luckily, I have a very hot, dry garage. I cut off the stems, immediately bundled them into medium sized bundles, tied them with string, (or ribbon or thread) left a loop and hung them in the garage wndow. (I swear officer, It's CATNIP! 8-} The catnip dried very well. I then took it, put it in a Ziploc bag and put it in my freezer. Did you know you can make tea out of it for human consumption? It has a calming effect on humans, but it hypes kitties up! I'll have this catnip for Izzieall winter long! All you really need to do is hang it in a warm, dry place for a week or so. Other Catsters may have some suggestions for oven or rack drying, but this is how I've done it all summer and it's worked,