What is the best food for my kitten?

I have 2 cats, a 3-year old Calico (female) and a 3-month Siamese (male). Fiona, my Calico, has never had any issues with any cat food we have bought for her. Our recently deceased cat Simon never dealt with any cat food issues either.

When we brough Yoshi home, I bought some Iams Kitten Food for him (not sure what kind; it's in a pink bag). However, he kept eating Fiona's adult cat food while Fiona would eat Yoshi's kitten food (because Yoshi was eating her food; she is a jealous cat). So now we just let them both eat the adult cat food, which is Kirkland's Cat Maintenance.

Yoshi has the worst gas ever! He farts many times a day and they smell disgusting. His poop also tends to be rather wet and mushy, not solid like Fiona's. When he poops and then comes to cuddle with me or another person in my family, we can smell his poop lingering on his bum.

Should we put Yoshi on a different brand or type of food? Should he still be on kitten food? What are your suggestions?

Asked by Member 764518 on Nov 7th 2008 Tagged food, gas, farting, stinky in Pet Food

Answers

Kira

I have always blended adult cat with the kitten formula of Royal Canin for mine because I have had a range in ages for a while now. There was no way to prevent the cats from eating the kitten food or vice versa. However, Felidae makes a very good quality formula that is for both cats and kittens. And we recently switched to Innova EVO which is also for both cats and kittens. My switch is just because it is a grain free food and we have some allergies here. The RC was a great food. More than just because of the gas, a kitten needs extra nutrition that an adult formula does not provide to grow and develop healthy bones, teeth and organs. Make sure any switch is gradual because it can cause gas and diarrhea if you switch suddenly.

Kira answered on 11/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Maxine

Kittens need kitten food for a year. You may need to feed him in separate room. He will eat the adult food anyway but he really needs the nutrition from the kitten food and that should be his main source of food. Adult food won't give him the nutrition that he needs.

Maxine answered on 11/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Blue

Have you ever try holistic cat food. My cat Blue has been eat this for over 3 years he is very healthly and he loves the food. Holistic is all natural it has no harmful chemicals, no artificial flavors, no artificial colors, no corn or corn gluten, no wheat or wheat gluten and it is easy on there stomach. My cat use to have stomach problems but he doesn't have it anymore with this food. Try this link: www.healthpetslive.com

Blue answered on 11/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer