Moonie

What is the best clipper to use on a cat?

I want a clipper that I can use to cut Moonie's nails down without hurting him. He is so dramatic when I try to clip them.

Asked by Moonie on Jul 19th 2011 Tagged clippingnails in Products & Tools

Answers

Merlin

Merlin also makes a huge fuss when I try and cut her nails, but I have learned a trick. I wait for her to be sleepy and lazy and then I cut a few of her nails. Usually she will wake up before I am done, but as long as I don't push her too much she usually goes right back to sleep again so I can carry on. It takes a little longer this way but she hardly realizes I have cut her nails.

As for a clippers I actually just use a normal nail clippers anyone would use. As long as you make sure not to cut too close to the pink nerve endings in the nails it works just fine. Though, I am sure there are special clippers you can get, though.

Hope this helps.

:)

Merlin answered on 7/19/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I use the special pet nail clippers you can get at any big-box pet store. Make sure to replace them yearly as they do get dull and can crush or tear at the claw. I'm sure they have a special name like "guillotine" clippers or something, but you put the claw in the hole, squeeze the handle and the blade trims the claw. The most important thing is not to cut too much. It's better to cut more often that too much claw. With Izzie, I just cut the needle-sharp little hooks at the end of his claws. And, as Merlin said, I do wait until he's almost alseep. Sometimes it takes me a week to do all his claws and sometimes only 5 minutes. If you aren't sure how to do it w/o hurting him, ask his vet to show you how. If Moonie does start to freak out, don't try to force the issue. Cat bites/scratches are no fun!

Pharaoh Purrince Tao DIT#33

My sissy cuts my nails while I'm calm. first, she massages my claws. takes the nails out and in again. does this a few times. and now she doesn't even have to do this as I'm used with it her managing my claws. then she takes the nails out one final time and cuts the nails into half. if i squeak she gets it that she was about to cut too much. then she cuts less. usually she cuts the nails of the front claws first, like after 2 weeks and cuts the nails of the back claws after every 4 weeks. if u start cutting the nails after the kitten is newly born then it becomes easy later. the kitty gets used to it. unless u might get serious scratches or wounds. however, u have to b careful doing this even if it's only a kitten. because cats can get pretty violent while u try to cut their nails! anyway, good luck on cutting ur kitty's nails!! ^.^
Qreus Mynd.

Pharaoh Purrince Tao DIT#33 answered on 7/20/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Roxy

I use the clippers you can get at the petstore although I did not know that you should replace em every year. Thanks.
I'll have my husband hold her while I cut them, she hates it but it only takes 5 minutes.

Roxy answered on 7/21/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I use for my little kitty ordinary nail clippers they work fine,but the clippers are huge that makes the clipping easier and my kitty love's them. But maybe you just went to the pink area of the nail and thats why hes so dramatic.