Shadow

What is my cat??

Hi i live in australia and about 6mths ago i bought a gorgeous black cat named shadow from the local animal refuge. When i bought her i was told she was balinese but because of her extremely dark colour (dark brown,almost black in sunlight) and her very bright yellow eyes, im thinking mabey she isnt after all. Ive read online balinese cats only ever have blue eyes, is this true? She is very long and slender and seems to have the characteristics of balinese except for her eyes and her coat colour. Im hoping someone can please help me identify what breed she is. Sorry her pictures arnt very good, she didnt want to stay still long enough 4 me, she wanted to get back to her nap. Thanks in advance

Hi Linus, thanks for your reply :) yeh shes a beautiful girl but i was just interested in her breed, not for showing or anything but i know that particular breeds of cat, like dogs, have certain health problems associated with the breeds

Asked by Shadow on Apr 11th 2010 in Balinese

Answers

Yes, I agree - Shadow is not a Balinese. Here is the link to the CFA breed profile for Balinese:

www.cfa.org

Balinese are basically a long haired Siamese. They will have blue eyes and the pointed coat pattern of the Siamese, but with longer fur.

Shadow possibly may have a touch of Siamese in her, but technically any cat who's background is unknown or uncertain is a Domestic mix. Only about 5% of cats are recognized purebreds with "papers". Coming from an animal refuge, she's probably a mix - but sometimes places state a breed to help the animal get adopted. Mixed breed cats can resemble purebreds - but only purebreds will breed true to type. Guessing the background of a mixed breed cat is just that - a guess.

Shadow is a very pretty girl though and she doesn't need a breed. Just enjoy your pretty girl for who she is.

Linus is right on all counts, as usual. When I was doing cat adoptions for the rescue I volunteered with, we really had no idea what breeds were involved in the families of the cats we had up for adoption. Another volunteer once suggested I put "part Maine Coon" on the adoption card because people in the USA Love Maine Coons and would be more likely to adopt a MC mix than pay $600 for a pure-bred kitten. Of course we had no idea if the cat actually had MC in it. Unless you adopt from a breed rescue and obtain papers stating the cat is purebred, chances are it has a big family tree with lots of branches and limbs. As for health problems associated with particular breeds, I've had both cats and dogs who have suffered from health issues never mentioned in their breed profiles. Good, continual vet care is your best defense against any sort of health issues, breed specific or not. Shadow IS a beautiful girl! Give her lots of head bonks and kisses from her American Furrends!