Belle

What is everyone's experience with Purina Pro Plan dry cat food?

My cats have been on Blue Buffalo dry cat food, but they beg for more food 24/7, like the Blue Buffalo just isn't enough. Someone on here told me to switch to a food with higher protein, because it will satisfy their hunger for longer periods of time. Plus the Pro Plan is 40% protein, while the Blue Buffalo is only 32% protein.

What is everyone's experience with Purina Pro Plan? Do your cats like it? Does it make them overweight even if you stick to the feeding guidelines on the bag? Did it cause any stomach upsets/vomiting? Of course I will switch their foods slowly.

Asked by Belle on Dec 7th 2011 in Pet Food

Answers

When I was doing animal welfare/rescue work, and also handling the PetSmart adoptions for my group, PetsMart always did, and still does, feed Pro Plan dry to the cats in the adoption centers. Some of the cats were rescued, vetted and sent right to PetsMart for the cages until a foster could be found, so we had no idea what they'd been eating previously (and probably wouldn't have wanted to know)and I can remember stomach upsets/diarrhea in only a few cases. I had very little problem getting the cats to eat it. My cats eat a combination of Blue Buffalo and Pro Plan for Sensitive Skin and Stomachs. I've switched them from Science Diet. It doesn't make them over weight and they are self feeders.

I feed a choice of two foods at all times because I had a problem with one of my girls starving herself because didn't like their food. One of my foods has been Pro Plan Indoor turkey for at least 3 months now and they love it. I free feed them and nobody is overweight. I also feed the Sensitive Skin and Stomach formula to Carly because she has digestive issues. That one is made with lamb and they ALL want it. If I fill her dish, the dish is quickly empty and poor Carly has to ask to be fed. Oddly, she will not touch the other foods and seems to know that is the only one that is ok for her tummy. But neither formula has made anybody sick and they love it! I was very impressed with the Blue Buffalo and how it's made, etc. but my cats would not eat it and the fiber content is too low for long haired cats.

I used to feed Pro Plan, and my cats liked it and did very well on it. The only reason I don't feed it anymore is my cats now have to eat prescription food. Food can be a heated topic here on Catster. Both Proplan and Blue Buffalo are good brands. Feed the best you can afford and that your cats like and do well on. If you stick to the recommendations on the bag, your cat shouldn't get overweight. If your cat has a tendency to gain weight easily, Pro Plan does have a weight management formula that my cats liked.

Gumpy Sweet Boy

I just wanted to mention that you cannot rely on the "guaranteed analysis" on the bag for an accurate amount of protein, etc. The guaranteed analysis provides only minimums and maximums, so when they say 40% protein, that means a maximum of 40% protein, which could be quite a bit less than that. It's not a precise amount, unfortnately.

There isn't a general answer about how your cat will do on Purina Pro Plan. But for me, after having a cat with diabetes, I avoid feeding food with alot of grains and starches.

Gumpy Sweet Boy answered on 12/9/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer