What is best for cat allergies?

I have recently developed allergies of some kind. My Mommy is thinking of having me allergy tested. I went to the vet on 5/12 & got a Methyl Prednisolone shot & the vet told Mommy to get me 10 mg Zyrtec to give me once daily. I took the Zyrtec with no problem. I was fine for a little while, now I'm showing allergy symptoms again. The last 2 times I went to the vet, I got upset, had to be sedated & I peed in my carrier too. Mommy & I would like to avoid that if possible. Do any of you kitties have allergies & what do you do? If Mommy buys me more Zyrtec & just gives me that, I wonder if it'll be enough? Mommy is going to ask the vet about this, but we were also wanting to hear from your experiences & we wanted to know what you kitties think.

Asked by Twinkle on Jun 17th 2013 Tagged cats, allergies in Health & Wellness

Answers

Well, I would say that first of all, your doc needs to find out WHAT you are allergic to. Is it something in your food? Because the weather is nice and the windows are open, could it be airborne like pollen? Did Mommy just get new carpeting or start using some new cleaners? Most of the time, allergies for people or their kitties have to be treated from the inside out with medications. Of course, if your doc determines it's something in the house, then Mommy will have to come up with a plan to get rid of whatever it is, too. You might want to visit the Forums to see what people with kitties who have allergies have done. But don't do anything unless you get the okey-dokey from your doc. PS., I don't like the doc either. I pooped in my carrier last time...8o(

Twinkle, it's time for a senior exam at your vet with an allergy test. You are old enough that you might be allergic to your flea medicine, perfumed laundry detergent or fabric softener, pine floor cleaner, or even a food or treat. If your symptoms don't improve with a Zyrtec in a Pill Pocket, the vet might need to prescribe some allergy food until the allergen is identified. Before that, if you are not eating a premium food already, try something like Natural Choice dry senior in chicken or oceanfish first. Good luck because my mom takes 1/2 Singulair every day since my sister is VERY furry! ^_^

Nika

If she is getting bumps/redness/rashes/etc on her body you might try using PETfection Deodorizer/Allergy Spray. It is 100% Organic, Non Toxic, and is amazing at helping with itchy spots/dry skin/bumps/etc. You can spray it all over her body and any area that is red or irritated. I hope this helps; good luck!!

Nika answered on 6/24/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer