What is a "Torbie"?

I can't fnd much information on what a "Torbie" cat is, although our shelters here have a few for adoption. They look like Maine Coons and one listed actually "loves" other cats and dogs! Does anyone know what kind of cat this is and what the personality is?

Asked by Izadore (Izzie) on Oct 13th 2008 in Breeds J-Z

Best Answer

I believe that torbie is also called patched tabby (the term that is more common in Japan). Basically it's a tabby cat with red or cream patches, and as far as I know, is sex-linked the way calico/tortoiseshell coloration is, so torbies/patched tabbies are by definition females. Torbie coloration is common in Maine Coons. I was hoping that Leila would produce some patched tabbies (her mother has), but she produced FOUR tortoiseshell and whites just like herself. In any event, as other posters have noted, there is a tendency to confuse color with breed. This is particularly true with calicos--many people seem to think that they are a breed rather than a color class. The CFA site might give you more information on color classes.

Lola answered on Oct 14th.

Answers

Philbert

I could be wrong, But I thought Torbie was coloration a Tabby/tortishell pattern?

Could the shelter be doing what I see a lot on shelter sites when they list a cats breed as their color?

Found alittle blurb on Yahoo answers. Hope it helps! they are very beautiful! I love Calico cats!
answers.yahoo.com

Philbert answered on 10/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jester (1988-2007)

Philbert's right Torbie is a colouring and not a breed. Torbie is from a mix of tortie + tabby, but I've also seen it commonly applied to calico + tabby cats. It's like a normal tortie or calico cat but the bits that are normally black are tabby instead. Jester was the calico version of a torbie.

Jester (1988-2007) answered on 10/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Atrus

A torbie is a cat with the tortoiseshell pattern (tortie) with tabby stripes. In Ragdolls, torbie occurs when a tortie cat also has the gene for Lynx (which caused tabby stripes). If you Google "torbie" or "tortie vs torbie" or something like that, you will find fanciers and breeders sites explaining the difference and genetics, and a ton of pictures.

Atrus answered on 10/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer