Rufus

What does skin cancer in cats look like.

I am an indoor red tabby, and my nose pad is getting black spots on it. could this be a concern or do red haired cats get freckles like people. my mom has had many cats, and never noticed this before.

Asked by Rufus on Jun 14th 2009 Tagged skincancer, freckles, redtabbies in Cancer

Answers

Harvey

Interesting question. Personally, I'd get a vet check, but I know for a fact that red tabbies are prone to getting freckles/black spots on their noses ( I actually spent several hours researching this a while back). You can look it up on the Internet--it's discussed there. My guess is that you have nothing to worry about, but go to the vet. It won't cost you that much--the vet is likely to look at the spots and say "No problem," but if it does turn out to be something serious, contact us again for information on cheap vet care. Purrs.

Harvey answered on 6/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Minuit AKA Miss Meany

Skin cancer usually appear as lumps under the skin or sores that don't heal and your cat will scratch at the area.
It could possibly be just a change in the pigmentation, it can happen as they get older.
If your at all concerned a vet visit should always be in order.

Minuit AKA Miss Meany answered on 6/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Kaci Sunshine - Beloved Angel

Hi Rufus! It's perfectly normal! Many red/orange tabbies definitely have freckles just like redheaded humans. Not all of them have freckles but many do. The freckles appear on the nose and/or in the mouth. They usually start to appear after the cat is 1-2 years old but could appear when older too. Some red/orange cats also get black whiskers as they age. Kaci has lots of freckles on her nose, some of them black, some brownish along with a few black whiskers.

I adopted Kaci when she was about 10 yrs. old. She's my first orange kitty and I'd never seen freckles on a cat before. When I first saw the freckles on her nose, I totally freaked and thought she might have cancer or had some strange skin disease and took her to the vet. LOL! The vet laughed and said the spots are freckles! However, if you feel uneasy about it, you might take Rufus to the vet just to make sure.

Kaci Sunshine - Beloved Angel answered on 6/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer