What does it mean when a cat doesn't groom itself?

I just adopted a really sweet 2 year old. My previous cats groomed themselves, but this cat does not. Is this something to worry about?

Asked by Member 1004594 on Sep 17th 2010 in Other Grooming

Answers

Whenever someone adopts a kitty, we always recommend that they immediately get their own vet on board and take the kitty to the vet. Shelters/rescues do the best they can with veterinary procedures, but it's always wise to take the new kitty to your own vet for an exam. I have to say that most of the kitties I've had have groomed themselves, even if only for a few minutes. Cats are fastidious creatures. If your kitty is not grooming herself, it might be something medical. That's why it is always wise to get an exam from your own vet to make sure that she checks out OK. Good luck!