What do we do about this stray cat i found?

There is this cat that comes to our balcony everynight. He kept coming everynight so eventually i began to put out food and water for the cat. This cat is very scared and runs whenever i apporch and when i go back inside the cat would go and eat. He is pretty thin but not very skinny. And he eats like he hasnt eatin in a long time and was very hungry. I dont know what do with him?

Asked by Member 979470 on Apr 13th 2010 in Other Adoption & Rescue

Answers

Speaking as a former animal rescue volunteer, I have to tell you that as soon as you started feeding this cat, you've signed an unspoken contract with it. It sounds as though, from his behavior and reactions to you, he is definitely a stray. You have 2 choices. If you stop feeding him, he will eventually find someplace else to go for food. If you continue to feed, you'll need to trap him (call your local police/animal control for loan of a trap), find a vet who can handle a feral (local rescues can be of help to you there. They may also be able to send one of their volunteers out to help you) and follow their direction. You can vet, neuter/spay this cat and return him to the outside. Do not let him in amongst your cats. He could prove to be aggressive and also be carrying one of those nasty kitty viruses. Good luck and please let us know how this works out.

Precious

Seeing as the cat looks very thin, you should continue to feed it and give it water, but do not approach it. It could be carrying a virus, have fleas or ticks or other bad things. You wouldn't enjoy fleas or ticks (speaking from experience), so call animal control or your local shelter. But, you may want to put up "Found Cat" signs around your neighbourhood, just in case it is someones outdoor cat. If you don't want to do anything to do with, your last option would to stop feeding him. But, try the other things first. "Found Cat" posters, Animal Shalter, or stop feeding him. Hope this helps!

Precious answered on 8/6/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

The best thing to do in a case like this, where the cat is wild, is to contact someone who can help you humanely trap, neuter and return him outside. If you remove him, you'll just make room for another cat. Alleycat.org can give you guidelines on proper care and feeding and will direct you to your nearest TNR group, who will probably find you the very best rate for fixing and vaccinating him. He has a better chance of staying healthy if you neuter him and, if you are renting your home, it may help you in case you get into any conflict with neighbors or property management over it. Good luck!

Lucky

Well since I have moved into my area, we have lots of strays. Alot of people have lost homes and jobs and sadly have left their cats behind. I keep putting food and water out for any cats in the area, if I can get them, I take them into my local shelter where they can get help. I don't ever bring them in as they might be carrying something bad, like has be stated before. Me personaily would hate to stop feeding any stray because of it's lack of care. but it would be best to get some help and trap this kitty so he can be taken care of right.

Lucky answered on 8/31/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Sun ( Sunari)

Hello, and meows! First of all, He is a feral wild cat. You have started to feed Him so now He will look to You for food whenever possible. You by many state laws now are responsible for the cat. Congratulations seriously You are giving Him another chance at life. He is gonna run when You approach Him as He is wild and probably has not been associated with other cats or has been abused sometime in His life. Take You time with Him, here is a tip* when You put food out get some cat treats the chewy kind and gently toss some toward him then everytime You do one make it closer to You. Let Him be the one to get to know You.Isskinny probably either due to lack of food or its His body structure or He could be sick.He eats fast, He is scared food will b taken away and wants to eat it before any other cat/animal finds it. He is hungry the life of a outside wild cat is not easy. if You fallen in love with Him keep Him and feed Him talk to Him as You watch Him eat.Give Him a name. lots of luck!

Sun ( Sunari) answered on 9/21/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Angel

well try too get him in and get him too trust you,, try too feed him or her,, talk too them.. very smart animals,,, i have 3 strays one as a baby, the 3rd is from outdoors and a very sweet stray ,not one like him friendly.... and nice too my other girls... but wants too play late at night and chase them,,, all in fun,,, but not easy,, too break in, patience is needed,,, one of mine has cancer but so far hanging in had 2 surg, and is doing well no kemo or any of that stuff. i don;t want too loose any of them...

Angel answered on 10/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have had a different experience with each outdoor cat that I have friended. I had a male who decided to live on my porch and I started feeding him. He would come to me and accept petting but would not allow me to pick him up. One day I found he was bleeding from a fight. I was able to grab him quickly and drop him in my cat carrier and get him to a vet. I had him repaired and neutered at the same time, then brought him indoors. He has acclimated to being an indoor cat just fine, He is very loving but still won't let me pick him up. That's okay. He is even sweet with my other cats.