What could have caused a 2 year old cat to suddenly die?

So my 2 year old cat was playing perfectly fine last he was adjusting very well to my new apartment that we just moved to two weeks ago. Then this morning out of no where I hear an unusual moan from my room. I walk in and he is laying there and in a matter of seconds he is gone. No heart beat. I have ruled out any case of toxicity by looking through the apartment I could not find anything he could have got into that was unusual plus he is strictly an in door cat you leave the front door wide open and he would run in the other direction. His litter box was lightly used I just cleaned it yesterday so I know he couldn't have had an obstruction. So I really do not understand what could have caused his sudden death please; help.

Asked by Member 1140952 on Nov 16th 2012 in Loss of a Pet

Answers

Joey

I am sorry for your loss. Sometimes we never know what happens to our furbabies. If your kitty has not been ill or does not have a history of illness and there are no obvious signs of distress (blood loss, wound, toxin, etc.) more than likely you will never know - and I know that is hard to hear. Try not to focus on why - but cherish the time you had with your kitty and keep your memories close. Sending you purrs & prayers.

Joey answered on 11/16/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I am so sorry for you loss. The only way to know for sure what happened to your cat would be to allow your vet to do a post-mortem exam (autopsy). Feline hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is a relatively common cause for sudden death in a young cat... but we are not vets here, and without a post-mortem exam, you will never know for sure.