Baby Charlotte

What causes seizures in cats?

The vet found nothing wrong with Baby Charlotte, but she has a seizure about every six months. They generally last about ten seconds and she seems fine five minutes later. What could cause this?

Asked by Baby Charlotte on Jun 28th 2011 Tagged seizures in Health & Wellness

Answers

There are potentially hundreds of reasons a cat will have seizures from a birth canal injury to poisoning. There is obviously SOME concern with her since seizures are not normal so I don't buy your vet's answer that there's "nothing wrong". You have the option of taking her to a specialist veterinary clinic (Your vet can recommend one)for further testing. There is an underlying cause for her seizing and with further, specialized testing it most likely could be diagnosed and treated. My worry is that, as she ages, the seizures may increase in frequency or become more severe without treatment. It's important that, when she does have one, you observe her very carefully. Make certain to keep other animals away and provide comfort when they're over.

My cat, Tippy, started having seizures when she was five (5) years old. They were of unknown origin. She would have them at least once a month and last for five to ten seconds. I didn't keep her on medication as it made her like a lame duck. Be careful when using flea medications. I only could use Advantage on her. Don't use FrontLine! My cat passed away at age 11 from chronic renal failure, so the seizures did not play a part in her death. Your cat will be very sleepy after she has a seizure and may eat and drink a whole lot before she drifts off to sleep after the seizure. Best of luck with your kitty.

Poofball (In Memory)

Poofy started having seizures suddenly at about a year old, shortly after being neutered. The vet didn't have a clue until I mentioned that he usually 'triggered' it by scratching his back. She looked through his thick long fur and found a scab from his itching, he didn't have fleas, and put two and two together. Best we could figure, his scratch was infected and his fever would spike randomly with it, causing him to have a seizure. For the longest time they didn't even believe he was having seizures, so at least you've gotten farther than I did at first.

We had an old Siamese that had two seizures a day and they requested we take photos or video of it since they had never seen it occur. It's helpful to know what type of seizure they are having so they may be able to narrow down the conditions that cause it. Additionally, it may help you discover clues as to when it is about to happen and what you can do to keep your cat safe.

Hopefully it's nothing major. Even if she turns out to be epiliptic, there are precautions you can take to safeguard her from injury and help her lead a very productive life with or without medication.

Best of luck to both of you!

Poofball (In Memory) answered on 6/29/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer