what are the symptoms of ringworm in a cat

My indoor only cat has some bald spots on her stomache and they look like a rash. Shes been scrathing her ears and getting sores from scratching. She also goes nuts on her tail like its itchy sometimes she gets her claw stuck in it and there are sores on it too. I just took her to the vet november for a checkup, I don't feel they took my concerns into consideration. she has always done the tail and ear thing. she has an appointment tomorrow are there any questions I should ask the vet?

Asked by Member 1083289 on Jan 9th 2012 Tagged ringworm, allergies, fleas in Allergies

Answers

Zape

Ringworm symptoms: Itchy bald spot and flaky skin. It is easy to treat, but it is a long treatment, at least one month to heal completely. I got it once. Vet’s prescription: medicinal bath three times a week + oral medicine once a day.

However, it is not common in indoor kittens like yours. If your kitten itches herself a lot (specially in the face and tail) it could be an allergy problem. Most common: food allergy. My brother Quindim was like this and mommy thought he got ringworms, but he is in fact allergic to salmon! He had been eating this for almost three months until mommy discover it (he started to REALLY scratch his face and “eat” his tail). Now he is fine!

Ask yourself these to help your vet: What kind of food is she eating? Have you changed her food lately? New treats? New bowls? Plastic bowls? New toys? Toys made in China? Have you changed any cleaning products that you usually use in your home? Have you change anything before she started to scratch her ears and tail?

Zape answered on 1/10/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Cats can have a whole laundry list of skin issues, and w/o knowing exactly what the issue is, it's impossible to treat. Ringworm is not a "worm", but a circular rash with blisters or scabs in the middle. It is HIGHLY contagious to other animals and humans. Skin scrapings must be done to determine what is causing the rash. She should be examined for fleas. As Zape said, her diet should be examined. Blood tests should possibly be performed if deemed necessary. The vet should question you to determine if stress is causing her fur-pulling. Go to the vet armed with paper and pencil. Write down your questions and the answers you get.Advocate for your cat and don't let yourself be "blown off".Don't wholesale accept what the vet says and politely ask for more information, what their diagnoses is and their plan of treatment. Ask how long before you should see improvement.If you still are not satisfied and your cat is still suffering, time to shop for a new vet, pethaps one that treats only cats