What are some safe cat toys?

My cat LOVES string...and nothing else - not even catnip! Recently, this became a problem as he ran away and ate the string. I made a concerned call to the emergency vet when it happened because I know his eating habit can be life threatening. He's fine and passed the string.

BUT, in order to keep him safe, we don't play with string anymore, but he is not interested with anything else. I have even tried covering other toys with catnip to see if that would do the trick. Nothing else keeps his attention. He's not really an active cat. The only exercise he gets is during playtime.

Anyone have any toy suggestions of inexpensive/DIY that don't involve string or yarn? I can't dish out too much money in case he doesn't like it. What about game suggestions?

Asked by Member 1034660 on May 22nd 2011 in Toys

Answers

My cat tree poles are wrapped in sisal rope and when piece come off it becomes a favorite toy. If you can get a piece of that, it might be almost as much fun as string but much safer because it's too thick to swallow. Another fave is balled up paper. If I crumple a post-it note, I look up to see at least 4 little faces waiting anxiously for me to toss it at them. I have these other toys from Petco that they love that are a plastic ring which is very similar to the plastic ring that comes off a milk or orange juice carton. Those are a few safe household items you can try. And one toy that ALL of mine love is the laser toy. Those are not terribly expensive but you can even try a flashlight beam. Just keep it out of kitty's eyes. Flash it across the floor and mine will chase it endlessly. I race mine up and down the hallway from my desk into the bedroom.

Allie gave some good answers. I'd also like to suggest toy mice. My cat Twinkle is crazy about them. She likes the medium sized colorful ones that make a rattling noise best. What about a toy that you can hang from the door that dangles down where your cat can bat at it? Google make your own cat toys for suggestions also. You can make toys from things around your house.