What are some fun homemade cat toys?

What are some fun cat toy ideas you can make at home?

Asked by Member 811581 on Mar 5th 2009 Tagged toys, homemade in Toys

Best Answer

As one poster said, string is good, but don't leave it lying around. Many cats will eat string, if left to their own devices, which can lead to an obstruction.

Also, try that circular pull-tab ring you get off your milk jug when you first open it. Another good one is ...take a twist tie, loosely twist it around your pinkie, then pull it off without changing the shape. It should now look something like a large spring. Toss either of these across a smooth floor and watch your kitty play ice hockey!! ...well, the kitty version, anyway.

Some kittens love to play with ping-pong balls. Mine loved to play with his in the tub, too. There is a picture on Tag's page of him doing just that ...with the ball in mid-air between his outstretched, unsheathed mitts.

One past cat of mine used to love my used knee-highs (hose). I'd roll them down my leg when removing them, then roll that into a smaller wad. The foot smell intrigues cats.

Whatever they be, enjoy your new toys, Sydney!

answered on Mar 5th.

Answers

♥ Gizmo ♥

My cats love aluminum foil balls. They will keep them busy for hours. Also, string is good. If your cat(s) likes to hunt tie a feather or a treat to the string.

♥ Gizmo ♥ answered on 3/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

My cats LOVE LOVE LOVE cardboard boxes. I got a big, long one from a new vacuum cleaner and they just LOVED it. They chewed a hole in it and played "hide in the tunnel" until their Daddy threw it away (boo-hiss).

fuzzy pipe cleaners are cheap and you can spiral them.

My girls love paper wads. Each morning, I eat a 500g container of plain yogurt, which is the signal for them all to come and have one or two licks of the yogurt and then--I know there's no logical connection here--have me make a paper ball and throw it into the next room, which is the kitchen. Currently, I'd say we have about 60 paper balls hiding under the refrigerator.

Plastic bottle caps are quite intriging to a cat. My cats love drinking straws that have a bendable head. Just bend the straw back and forth in front of them, and then start tapping them on the forehead with it in the L position, you will be amazed at how much they really like it. Don't let them have the straw right away. It's the teasing part they enjoy most.

I've purchased just about every cat toy you can buy, and my cats don't play with any of them... except one cat loves rabbit-fur mice. Look under my furniture and you will find pieces of household items, writing pens, balls of candy wrappers, and bottle caps.

- Cardboard boxes
- Brown grocery bags
- Milk caps
- Paper crumpled up into a ball

It's the simple things that provide hours of entertainment.