Pumpkin

What are good substitutes for cat food?

My brother Buster and I have been getting sick from eating Purina's Friskies cat food. Our owner doesn't want us to eat canned or dry cat food anymore so what can we eat instead?

Asked by Pumpkin on Jan 6th 2008 in Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

I wouldn't be surpriced. Friskies is a bad food,science diet is too,fancy feat also,ect...
Some cats like mine like only good food. When Oreo was eating cat food (now he eats raw) he hated everything but now he eats alot! Oh,and if you don't use cat food you can feed raw too!

answered on Jan 9th.

Answers

mittens

Meow to you. First of all stop using the cheap kitten food. Why don't you try using a better brand like Wellness or another premium brand. Talk to your vet and find the better food for your kitties. Since they are only five months old they need good food to grow. Do not feed them human food. Good luck to you and purrs from Mittens.

mittens answered on 1/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Captain (RIP 2006-2010)

Yeah...switching to a better cat food will really help with the digestion. If you can't afford some of the premium brands like Innova or Wellness, Science Diet isn't bad for a midrange quality for the price. The grocery store brands are, to mom, the equivalent of fast food for humans. Its food, but there's just not a whole lot of nutritious value there. Stuff like Science Diet is like your nice dinner at a good restaurant, maybe some chicken fingers, veggie soup,and fries. Not necessarily the ideal meal, but there's alot more nutrition than mcdonalds. The premium brands are like your homemade chicken breast, veggies, and a glass of milk...a well balanced meal. *great, now mom's hungry!*

If you feed a cat something other than cat food, it won't be getting the nutrition it needs, and you might see associated health problems. Sort of like if a human only ate dog food, just wouldn't really work out too well.

Captain (RIP 2006-2010) answered on 1/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Dulci (In Loving Memory - you

I agree with the other two answers that produced food is still probably the best. I don't feed my cats expensive food, and they do quite well, but that is not everyone's choice.

My concern is that despite the various pro-health issues related to "cheep food", (and the comparison to fast food or frozen food is probably quite accurate), Purina cat food is quality enough that your cats should NOT be getting sick on it. Fat, yes, but not sick.

I would strongly advise you check with a vet for other causes of being sick. usually, (food recalls not withstanding) a cat isn't sick from the canned or dry food, but from a bug, a parasite, or stomach issues.

Dulci (In Loving Memory - you answered on 1/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

The other posters are right on. Ernie, Izzie and Delilah won't eat the cheap stuff, canned or dry. Little brats ;-) I spoiled them good. My kitties have eated Purina One, also available at the grocery store, since I got them. Izzie ate kitten food, and even though he was no longer a kitten, when Ernie tasted it, he started eating it too! Some people will reccommend you put your kitties on a raw food diet, and for them, if they have the time and dedication, that's fine. Purrsonally, I just grab the little blue bag of Purina One off the shelf and off we go. My cats are happy and healthy and I'm not in the kitchen grinding up Elk meat. 8-)

Nick

I'm not sure what you mean by 'sick'. Are they throwing up, do they have diahera? If they are throwing up they may be eating too much catfood but it is odd that they both have the same symptoms. First, change food; second, if it continues, take them to the vet pronto because dehydration from throwing up is fatal to cats; third, based on this your owner should not give up on canned or dry cat food which is formulated for the express purpose of proper nutrition for cats. I would try whatever it takes to first see if it is just the purina they can't handle.

Nick answered on 1/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I recommend that you stop feeding commercial cat food. I recommend that you feed holistic cat food (dry and crunchies). Why don't you visit wwww.healthypetnet.com/pearls?
I feed all three of my cats this food -- they love it.