Nimbus

webbed toes cat

My mum says I have webbed toes. I'm half Bengal. Is that a Bengal thing? She spotted it when she was trying to trim my claws.

Asked by Nimbus on Dec 22nd 2009 Tagged bengal, toes, paws, feet, webbed in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

I've never heard of a cat with webbed feet. Even the Fishing Cat hooks fish with it's claws even though some people believe it has webbed toes. Cats aren't that crazy about swimming, so there would be no reason for them to have webbed toes. Have your vet look at her feet when you take her in to make sure there's no problem with her toes.

Bugsy

Izzie is right, she should go to the vet. It could just be some genetic freak thing that happens sometimes. Is the vet says she's fine, then enjoy her uniquness.

Bugsy answered on 12/22/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hmm, all of my cats have always had webbing between their toes. Nothing extreme, but different from human fingers/toes. If it doesn't interfere with your walking and you're not in pain, I don't think it's something you should make a special vet visit for.

Chibi answered on 12/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bengals are hybrids between the domestic cat and the Asian Leopard Cat - a wild spotted cat about the size of a housecat. The Asian Leopard Cat has webbed toes and, like the closely related Fishing Cat, is an able and willing swimmer. Even four or five generations removed, the descendants of the Asian Leopard Cat carry many of the originating species' characteristics.

I have a purebred Bengal, and he, like most of his breed, has extra-long, fully webbed front toes; his hind feet are somewhat less webbed, only half the length of the toes. It's quite noticeable when he stretches and displays his "duck feet". He's not as water-loving as many Bengals, but he does join me in the shower sometimes, and he loves to splash and play in his water bowl.

There's no reason to take your cat to the vet because of this, and nothing really unique about it. He's just half Bengal, displaying one of the common traits of that breed.

I have submitted a question about cats having webbed toes to google and it brought me here. In the interim, I was able to consider my own query while reading of swimming cats and such. After said consideration, I am inclined to believe it to be more closely related to the ability to travel across snow, as with the American Lynx, and, to cross species boundaries, the Snowshoe Hare. Please submit any thoughts/comments.
BB