Lucky

Washing cats

Well I was wondering if I need to wash my cat she is 2 years old and has never been bathed before. She is a domestic short hair most of the time she is outside but mornings and night inside. She is black so it is hard to tell if she is dirty or not but she always roll around in the dirt. What do you think wash or don't wash. Any tips would be great thanks meg

Asked by Lucky on May 3rd 2013 in Grooming

Answers

Having lost 2 cats to the outdoors, my first impulse is to tell you to keep her in, but I know it's VERY difficult to retrain her to be an inside cat. As far as baths, I can honestly say that I don't bathe mine. All 3 are very good groomers. I don't notice any smell and I try to remove mats as soon as I find them. Since she is short-haired, buy a soft brush and a comb and brush her as often as she will allow, Make sure she's vetted and treated monthly with flea drops from your vet. Watch her coat/skin for any redness or other flare-ups. Some people believe that cats need frequent bathing, and if they tolerate it, I guess it's OK. Outdoor kitties rely a lot on their scent (or lack of it) to keep them safe outside, so she may not appreciate going outdoors smelling like shampoo or soap 8o)