vet said the food i am feeding my cats may kill them

I feed all my cats GO and Halo dry and wet food. well i took my male kitten to the vet and he told me i should put them on science diet because male cats tend to get urinary blockages and the natural food is not tested and does not have the proper electrolites to maintain male cats and said my cats although they are very healthy will end up getting a urinary blockage that will potentially kill them. is this a scare tactic to get me to buy prescription science diet or is there any truth to this? i only want to do what is best for my cats and thought feeding them healthy food was a good thing, am i wrong?

Asked by Member 1000025 on Jun 30th 2012 Tagged food, urinaryblockage in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

DON'T FEED YOUR CAT Science Diet! That food is more like a science project. I took my vet's advice back in 2007 and fed her Science Diet. My cat collapsed in March 2007 in her litterbox after eating Science Diet for a few weeks. Remember the big pet food recall back then? My cat went into kidney failure and died because of that food. I now feed my new cat Wellness and she has had no problems. Wellness is grain free and high in protein. If your cats are used to wet and dry food, you can still purchase both for them. Wellness makes wet (can) food, pouches with gravy and a variety of dry foods (one will certainly be right for your cats). Best of luck. I'm sure you will be happy with Wellness. P.S. Wellness was NEVER on the pet food recall list back in 2007.

Your vet is full of baloney. That's the line that Hill's feeds the vets when they sign them up to sell their food. Vet students get very little training about nutrition. Halo is excellent food. To be on the safe side, it would be best to cut out dry food altogether (high in carbs and calories) and make sure the cats get plenty of water