VERY weak kitten, just over 4 weeks of age

My cat had a litter of 7 on June 11th, a long labor. All babies appeared to be fat & healthy. I noticed about a week ago that one of them was obviously deaf (my powered-on vacuum didn't cause any alarm or sudden movement when it was within inches of the baby) & mom is losing interest in nursing (10 minutes tops)...Shortly after this, the kitten passed sometime between 2 & 6 Monday morning. Now have another kitten, the whiniest & fattest of the litter, who is acting very lethargic & weak. Attempting to bottle-feed with Just Born (by Farnam), but the kitten wants little - nothing to do with it or nursing its mother. Just hours ago, it appeared to be getting around fine, but now all it wants to do is lay still. A vet suggested rubbing some pancake or similar syrup in its mouth in case it had low blood sugar, but that isn't having any effect, either. If money weren't tight enough, would've already been to the animal hospital. Any advice? My heart can't bear losing another baby

Asked by Member 855083 on Jul 15th 2009 Tagged largelitter, weak, lethargic, bottlefeeding in Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

I'm a breeder, and my line all have large litters. Leila came through with her first litter with seven kittens, all of whom thrived simply on her milk. Kitten glop (?) is a tried and true solution, but at four weeks, KMR introduced by syringe (baby cats can't always figure out how to drink from a baby cat bottle) is also a good choice. With a large litter, there is always the danger of postnatal death. My own breeder's new queen had NINE kittens, and since he works six days a week, from early morning until evening, he simply could not give them this care. Two died. He is not a backyard breeder by far, but there are limitations as how humans can save kittens' lives. Some are just destined to pass on quickly. Try the advice of the other posters, and also go to your local pet store for KMR and a syringe (they might not have one, but you can find one elsewhere--cat shows, etc. Or you can use a culinany syringe). Use the Internet to see how often they should be fed.

Lola answered on Jul 15th.

Answers

Minuit AKA Miss Meany

Oh my goodness, my heart goes out to you but unfortunately things can go wrong quickly for these little ones. I don't know what you want us to do. You NEED to take these kittens to a vet and get them proper medical attention. Allowing your female to have a litter, you take on the responsibility of ensuring these kittens are healthy regardless of finances.
This is one reason to obviously spay and neuter your family pets. Allowing a female to have kittens is NOT always a happy experience. Please get her spayed after this to save yourself future heartbreak.
I'm sorry if you think I'm being rude, it is not my intentions but inexperienced cat owners who don't spay are faced with situations such as this and are not prepared to deal with the situations when they arise.
I hope all goes well and the kittens find a loving forever home.

Minuit AKA Miss Meany answered on 7/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Try to feed the baby kit this

What is kitten glop?

Basic INGREDIENTS

12 oz water
1 envelope unflavored plain gelatin.
1 can 12 oz evaporated canned milk (not condensed) Regular, not the low fat. They need the fat.
2 Tablespoons plain unflavored yogurt
2 Teaspoons Karo syrup (light)
2 tablespoons Mayonnaise
3 egg yolks (no white)

DIRECTIONS

Heat water
add gelatin until completely dissolved
Remove from heat - LET COOL SOME!!!
Add 1 can regular evaporated canned milk
Add 2 Tablespoons plain live culture yogurt
add 1-4 egg yolks

Put in blender or whisk by hand until completely mixed

Pour into an ice cube tray and freeze

When frozen, pop the cubes out and store in a zip-loc plastic bag in the freezer

Or refrigerate if using completely within 3 weeks

To serve, microwave 10-15 seconds

Refrigerate when not in use

Heat will kill the yogurt culture and curdle your eggs, so they must be added after the gelatin/water mixture has been cooled with the milk.Use live cultured plain yogurt. Pasteurizing/heat kills the live culture.

Even at room temperature, this mixture will "gel". It liquefies when warmed. The mixture works very well and the kittens seem to like it a lot.

Princess

It is possibly your formula. I recently lost 12 kittens from 5 litters and an adult cat who were on KMR. All mine had seen a vet. (3 vets were involved) Karo or corn syrup is
what most vets suggest to bring up low blood sugar. I am using A/D (high calorie)
canned prescription food from the vet. No
formula. The vets do have a formula they
prescribe (in a box like kids juice boxes).
I use Pedialyte (no flavor) or a generic brand if the kitten is dehydrated. My others have recovered. I have used KMR several years
and have never had a problem. The company
is not interested, unless they hear from others. I have found several others. Many
retailers are concerned.

Princess answered on 7/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer