Katie

tips on removing motor oil from fur

Katie cat laid down in motor oil over the weekend and it was thoroughly absorbed into her (white) underside, her legs, tail, everywhere (it seemed) but her face. We took her to a PetCo groomer the next morning, but her fur is still spikey and jutted (even after) combing through it.

Any suggestions on how to clean her up further and get her nice soft coat back??

Please help.

Thank you.

Asked by Katie on Dec 15th 2008 Tagged grooming, motoroil, oilyfur in Home Grooming

Answers

Try a bath with a little bit of Dawn dishwashing liquid. It should help cut the grease and that's what they use for the poor birds and animals when there is an oil spill in the ocean.

Tipper

like the other post said a nice warm bath will probably help a lot, you may want to get some cat conditioner (with the cat shampoo in the cat grooming isle...they'll have it at PetCo) so that her fur can have a glossly shine and so her skin doesn't get dried out from the soap. It's imporatnt to get the oil out of her fur not only to make her look nice again but also so she doesn't get sick from ingesting the oil.

Tipper answered on 12/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Cat show exhibitors often use dish detergent, especially on cats with oily fur (Maine Coons, etc.). It cuts the grease and is guaranteed not to be harmful. As for the skin drying out after one or two baths--I give my show cat a 30 minute bath followed by an hour long blow dry session every weekend, and he has no problems with dry skin or dry fur. I do use other shampoos and conditioners along with the dish detergent, however.

Syd Vash Johnson

My co-worker JUST told me a story about her aunts cat getting covered head to toe in motor oil. Wash after wash after wash, they were finally directed by a professional to get it all shaved off. I know that's not what you wanted to hear but apparently it's nearly impossible to get it out of the fur and you certainly don't want them ingesting that. Good Luck!

Syd Vash Johnson answered on 12/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

This is way too late to help but hopefully will help others. Our cat got into used motor oil.
The first thing I did was remove excess with paper towels. Then I gave her a bath with dish soap. Use lots of soap directly on the oil. Rinse well with warm water. I followed it with shampoo to recondition the fur. Her white fur still was grey with dirt. I found a suggestion on a folk remedy site to use vegtable oil and flour. I poured vegtable oil on the areas she still had motor oil residue and worked it in well. Absorbed it with some paper towels. Then worked flour into the area where she had motor oil. I followed this with another bath with dish soap and shampoo as above. That did the trick and she has white fur again. See my posting for how to give a cat a bath without a fight.

Muppet

My cat comes home once a week covered in oil and as he is white its really noticeable lol what i do is cover him in baby powder and brush it through and it lifts out the oil az well az him loving a good brush, hope this helps az it works on my boy, sometimes i think he does it on purpose az he loves a good brushing!

Muppet answered on 3/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer