Belle

Tips on car travel/size of carrier?

I have recently moved and taken Belle with me, however, I still go visit my family (1 1/2 hours away) every weekend. I have to put Belle on a tranquilizer for the car rides (which I got from the vet), but she still cries a bit and HATES to be put in her carrier. Any tips on making car trips easier for her, and also how to get her into her carrier easier?

Also, do cats prefer smaller carriers or carriers with a lot of room? Do you think Belle might be crying because her carrier is too small and she can't move around much? She is about 10 lbs.

Asked by Belle on Apr 25th 2010 in Car Travel

Answers

Harvey

SturdiShelter (see their website) makes a carrier specifically for car travel. It is bigger than a regular carrier, zips shut, and I believe can be folded up (like the other SturdiShelters) when not in use. Some cats will get used to carriers if you leave them out all the time, open, so that they can use them as a hiding place or a nap spot. SturdiShelter products are not cheap, but cat shw people swear by them.

Harvey answered on 4/25/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Cleopatra 8/4/96-7/18/13

Harvey is right about leaving the carrier out with the door open. If she sees that it can be a "safe" place she will do better. You can try using some Rescue Remedy for her (you put some drops in their water dish). Also spraying some in the carrier (with the cat out of it) and also in the car may help as well. Tranquilizers often have the opposite effect on cats.

You can also try getting her more comfortable with going into her carrier by placing a favorite treat, or wet food inside it and let her eat it at her leisure. Dont lock her up inside it when you feed the food/treats though.

As far as carriers, I used a small dog/large cat kennel for mine. Some like more room and some like a smaller space. They should have room to turn around. It is also best to not feed/water your cat right before leaving. Oh and see if she responds better to being on one side of the car or the other, it sounds crazy, but Sebastian does not cry as much when he cannot see me vs. when he can. Good Luck!

Cleopatra 8/4/96-7/18/13 answered on 4/25/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer