Mittens

Tips for gooming my 2 1/2-year-old

My 2 1/2-year-old tom, Mittens, gets mats under his armpits, we try grooming him, but he doesn't tolerate the brush long enough to do a thorough job. We've been grooming him for over a year, and he does ok for a while, but when he gets tired of it, he attacks the brush (and the arm holding it) until we put it away. He gets brushed in the evenings when he's relaxed from playing outside all day. He doesn't have any tender spots, the brush doesn't pull (it's a Furminator), my mom avoids the mats, she doesn't play with him much, I'm not really sure what to do. We can't afford an actual groomer, and my dad refuses to have the vet do it because they did a very poor job on a cat he knows. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Asked by Mittens on Mar 5th 2010 in Home Grooming

Answers

Harvey

Mittens is a gorgeous kitty--and yes, the color designation is brown tabby and white. To go totally OT, my mother had a polydactyl cat named Mittens when she was a child. Now for the grooming question. The simplest solution is the Zoom Groom--most cats love it. The Furminator is good for getting out dead/loose hair, but my cats don't like it that much. Look at Harvey's page. He is an example of a cat who had weekly show grooming (by me!) for a year and a half. Cats, especially male cats (even neutered ones) tend to get greasy in three areas: behind the ears, under the armpits, and at the base of the tail. Some hints: the occasional bath (you can even use dish detergent) will help get rid of loose and dead fur. A brush (not the Furminator) is usually appreciated by cats. A metal comb is best for getting out tangles. Good luck!

Harvey answered on 3/5/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I can't speak much about specific grooming procedures (I only groomed dogs, much easier), but one thing I learned from my boss when it came to cats was, fast, short, and sweet. As I'm sure you've already learned, cats do not tolerate grooming for very long, and once they decide they've had enough and want to leave, the stress it will cause both of you to try to hold him there and continue is not worth it. Get as much as you can, as fast as you can, and when he starts to kick up a major stink over it, let him go. Try again later on in the day. That may seem very tedious - and it is - but you're much better off taking two or three days to shave the mats out carefully, than to hold him down on the table for an hour, get bitten, scratched, defecated on (I've seen it happen, it's not pretty) and end up with a cat who won't go anywhere near you when you have clippers in your hands.