This morning my cat pooped outside his litter box.

My cat has never pooped outside his box. I wasnt happy about it because I had also stepped on it, the poop was soft but not slippery or hard either, and there was a bunch of little plops of it in one area. Oddly enough me and my Fiance had heard Moose, the cat, scratching inside his litter box so we had thought he did it inside. I had spanked him and told him no, and that it was a bad thing to do, but now he doesnt want to come out of hiding and when he does he runs back to under the couch or bed. Ive noticed he wont eat much at all and he is timid once again, because even when i held him later on he wasnt too sure that it was alright. Is something wrong with my cat or do I have to win back his approval?

Asked by Member 1144025 on Dec 6th 2012 Tagged toilet, litterbox, poop, spanking in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Batfink

Firstly, when a cat goes outside of the liter box it is uaully a sign of illness or distress!
And if kitty is ill, spanking him is certainly not going to fix things, Hes hiding just now because youve given him physical punishment to which he just sees as plain aggression from yourself, its likely it will take him some time to come round, but most importantly, get on the phone to the vets for an appointment, or phone chat with your vet to rule out any health issues.
He may have simply misssed the box, or not gotten there in time, please insure you have more than one box for him in opposite ends of the house and in a quiet private place away form the main part of the house.
Hope he is ok!

Batfink answered on 12/7/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Batfink is exactly right. Unfortunately, you realized after the fact that spanking Moose solved nothing and scared the bejeezus out of him because he didn't know why he was getting hit. The hiding could also be because he doesn't feel well. If he has a stomach ache, he may think the box was causing it. I hope that by smacking him, you didn't make the situation worse and now he'll be afraid of the box. If it's a small box and he's a big cat, try getting a larger box. For right now, leave him alone. He's probably scared of you. When he does come out, praise him in a soft, kind voice. Don't touch him unless he comes up to you for pets. If he checks out OK with the vet, a small can of tuna might not hurt your case, either. Keep in mind that not eating and hiding are two big signs of illness. Call your vet as soon as you can and get him in. And let us know how he's doing.

Baby

Thus is a sign of disease and illness and punishment to Moose.Its bad to spank a cat like that and cruelty to animals aswell is bad.Try staying away from Moose until Moose is ok with you.If you spank him again he could end up running away.There is absoloutly NOTHING wrong with Moose.The litterbox thing is that you might need a larger litterbox or if you don't do refills to the litterbox then it is because your cat has no where else to poop or pee and will do it outside of the litterbox.Make sure you do daily refills each time it gets full or deep.Try treating your cat better too!

Baby answered on 12/7/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer