This isnt a question. I feel so guilty.

I just need to express myself. My cat, Meeko, who Ive had for 14 yrs, died tonight. I feel guilty because I should have took her to the vet sooner. Went to a different vet & made apt for tomorrow (Thur). Wasnt expecting for her to go downhill so quick. She was my baby. I feel like I have let her down. I feel like she thinks I didnt love her because I didnt get her the help she needed. I just miss her so much.

Asked by Member 1077345 on Dec 14th 2011 in Loss of a Pet

Answers

Spike

My heart goes out to you. You know, human caretakers are not perfect, nor are vets. My Japanese moggies died at 15 and 18 of kidney and liver related illnesses. They were diagnosed, but not treated. Had I known enough at the time, I would have sought out another vet. My vet at the time had many good points too. When Kitty died at age fifteen and I was in tears, he told me that she had dad a long kitty life. Parenthetically, with a different vet, if may have been longer, but hindsight is 20/20. A sudden death can be due to any number of factors--only a necrosis can indicate the real cause of death. What I do know is that death from kidney failure is swift and apparently painless. Sudden heart failure would be the same. You were spared the euthanasia dilemma. Meeko died in a comfortable environment. Feeling guilt about your cat's death is natural. Feeling sad is natural. Consider becoming a Catster member, as it is free. You can get counseling on the Forums.

Spike answered on 12/15/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Spike gives excellent advice. If you had Meeko 14 years, she had a good, long life and I am certain that she knew you loved her. You did not let her down. I just corresponded with a person whose cat was 15. The vet gave him 2 weeks but he passed after 2 days. When we lose one of our beloved pets, there is always some guilt. Did I do enough? What if I had done this...or this? Animals cannot communicate with words and that makes us feel helpless. Give yourself time to grieve and if you feel the need, your vet can direct you toward a pet loss grief support group. When you are ready, be it in one week or one year, consider giving a home to another cat, one who is homeless, in a shelter. This is a great tribute to the good years and love you shared with Meeko. Purrs!