Sasha

There's litter stuck in my paws!

Hi, I'm a newbie and this is my first post! Sasha is a DLH and has these cute tufts of hair between her paws. Problem is, her clumping litter seems to be clumping to the tufts and is difficult to get out (especially since she's not fond of her paws being touched). I've been thinking about switching her to cedar litter because I don't think she likes the litter we're using now (she tries to cover her feces by scratching outside of the box). Is there any way to prevent this other than getting cedar litter? And if not, will the cedar litter work as well in regards to easy daily clean-up?

Thank you :)

Asked by Sasha on Feb 9th 2011 Tagged litter, paws in Products & Tools

Answers

I have found that many kittens/cats that I have rescued do not like cedar litter. I always use "Yesterday's News". It is just like cedar but doesn't have the odor and is relatively cheap. It is sold in food stores, pet stores, WalMart, etc. I would suggest putting one litter box out with your old litter and a second litter box with new cat litter (whichever you decide to use). See which cat litter your cat prefers. Cats don't like change, as they are creatures of habit, but then again, it doesn't sound like your cat likes clumping litter tufted between her toes. What cat would? I used to have to clean my cat's paws because she was almost blind and didn't know she was stepping on a spot in the box where she had just urinated. It wasn't fun to do. It was like cleaning out pieces of concrete once it had hardened. Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Welcome to Catster! Guest gives you excellent advice. Izzie has an aversion to having his paws touched as well which makes trimming his claws always an adventure. He gets litter stuck on his paws too. I've found that providing the corrugated "scratchy boxes" works for both my cats. The scratchy box is in a cardboard box of it's own. It also comes with catnip to entice them to use it. Delilah used to go to town on our new chairs and by placing these boxes in front of the chairs, I've persuaded her that to keep her happy home, she use the boxes instead of the chair. You can get these boxes at any pet mart and probably at Wal-Mart and Target too. These work great for getting the litter off. You may also be using too much litter. I've learned that cats only need 2 inches of litter or so. Cats will scratch outside the box and also on the wall.You can also try a mat next to the box but the scratchy boxes work better. Good luck!