The Magnificent Seven

The mysterious case of the vanishing kitten whiskers

One of The Magnificent Seven, Cabot, has had most of her whiskers reduced to stubs of only a few millimeters; only a few whiskers are left that are of the regular length. Cabot shows no signs of a skin or any other kind of disease, nor do any of the other kittens have this problem. They're at the stage now when they do a lot of rough wrestling with each other, both the boys and the girls. Do you think this could be the cause? This is hardly an earth-shattering problem (although I suppose I'll bring it up with my vet when I go again tomorrow...sigh), but I'm curious as to whether anyone else has had this experience, or has any ideas as to its cause.

Asked by The Magnificent Seven on Jan 4th 2009 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Yes, the whiskers are probably just breaking from rough play. Linus had lots of short broken whiskers when he was a baby too, probably from rough play.

♥ Suey ♥

We've had kittens that had broken whiskers. Evie had none at all when she moved in. I wouldn't imagine there is a problem, especially if the skin around it looks normal.

♥ Suey ♥ answered on 1/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jingo

They are probably getting bitten off by one of the other kittens. When I adopted Jingo and Gogo their 4 brothers only had short little stubs of whiskers left. The vet techs that had been looking after them told me that Jingo would nibble on their whiskers while they slept.

For some reason she never nibbled on her sister Gogo's whiskers and she's only done it once since I adopted her a year and a half ago. Xena was looking odd one day and I realised she only had whiskers left on 1 side of her face.

Jingo answered on 1/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Princess Buttercup

My friend's kitty had the same problem. One day she saw it was b/c the older kitty was biting off the younger kitty's whiskers as she cleaned her face.They were obviously annoying the kitty as she licked the baby's face. very naughty.

Princess Buttercup answered on 1/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer