Territorial female Siamese cat having trouble with new kitten

I have adopted a new 9 week old kitten that my son has named Wylie.we already have a 8 month old Siamese cat,pearl who has an adventurous spirit.we have never had an issue with her behavior.when we introduced the 2 pearl let it be known she was not happy but I figured as time went by they would adjust & eventually be friends.but it seems to be As the days go by pearl becomes increasingly aggressive towards Wylie.& Wylie does nothing to encourage the behavior, not a hiss.now pearl has become aggressive towards me and has associated me as the punisher and hisses & growls when I try to hold her.she is like someone else's cat! She is a far cry from the sweet kitten that I raised! She has bitten me & scratched me, til I bled.i put her in the bathroom as a punishment for her to see that this behavior is unacceptable & will not be tolerated.i feel like I am going nowhere fast,I'm afraid if her behavior continues she may go after my 6 yr old son next & I will have to find her a new home.help!

Asked by Member 1139089 on Nov 4th 2012 Tagged introducingnewcat, behavior, territorial, siamese in Behavior & Training

Answers

If neither cat is spayed, this needs to be done asap. Then, separate the two cats for a while. Put Wylie in her own room (Perhaps your son's?) with box, food, bed, water and toys. Visit her often and play with her. Give Pearl all the attention she demands. Don't punish HER, she's just defending HER territory against the interloper! Keep the cats separated for as long as it takes for them to develop an interest in each other without too much hissing, etc. Let Wylie out of the room occasionally and put Pearl in there. They will investigate each other's scents. Don't try to restrain Wylie by holding her b/c you will get scratched. I believe that if you "start over" with the two cats by separating them until you feel they can tolerate each other's presence, things may go better for you. They may never be BFF's, but at least your house will no longer be a war zone. You can also contact the rescue you adopted from for further advice.