Taking care of a surprise kitten?

Last night, my husband rescued a kitten off of the side of a busy road. No sign of his family anywhere, and the poor little guy was terrified. We brought him home and got him fed, warm, and cozy. He decided he liked us, and we sort of fell in love. Our dog did too, though the kitten doesn't like her so much. We estimate the kitten to be 2 months old, but won't know for sure till we get him to the vet. For now, he's in the bathroom with a bed, stuffed animal, litter box, food, and water, but I feel bad leaving him alone after all he's been through. We can't have him with the dog yet, though, since he's scared of her and she can be hyper- plus, we need clearance from the vet. What should we do? We've been talking about getting a cat, but were hoping to introduce our dog, and ourselves, more gradually. We love the little guy, though, and want to do right by him. He's very playful and- when he gets sleepy- cuddly. Seems healthy, but won't know till we get him checked. Advice is appreciated

Asked by Member 1136975 on Oct 21st 2012 Tagged dog, rescue, orphan in Other Adoption & Rescue

Answers

I have to say that when Izzie came to hang from my screen 5 years ago, I wasn't ready for another cat, but I can't imagine being without him. God bless your hushand for being in the right place at the right time! However, get him to the vet as soon as you can. He needs to be examined and tested. Sometimes mother cats abandon a kitten because they know it's not "right", but I hope that's not the case with this one. For right now, you are doing exactly the things you should. You will need to "kitten-proof" your home. Your kitten will need to find places to escape from the dog when she chases him. Once he gets used to her (supervised visits between them for a while, Mom and Dad)they'll become fast friends. You need to be feeding him kitten formula food. When you take him to the vet, take along a paper and pen. Write down any questions you have for the vet and then write down their answers. Good luck! Join Catster and post photos. We LOVE baby pics!