Spayed female urinating on owners?

My ~2 year old spayed cat has peed on my husband in bed three times over the span of 9 months, the last time being 1/15. Last night she peed on me in bed and this morning she peed on me on the couch. There has been no change to the environment and the vet gave her a clean bill of health (other than being overweight). She is the only cat we have. We have other pets but they are all caged. She is indoor only though she tries to sneak out. She has access to water at all times. She does this regardless of whether her litter box is clean or dirty. If we shut her out of the bedroom, she tears up the carpet and yowls all night. If we shut her in the bathroom with her litter box, she tears up the tile. I don't know what to do. I don't want to have to find a new home for her but I need to figure out what's going on. Everything I've found online says it's likely a medical issue but that's been ruled out (urinalysis and bloodwork).

Asked by Member 1153535 on Feb 4th 2013 Tagged urinating in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Lefty

It's possible something happened that frightened her or otherwise caused her to develop these anxiety problems. The behaviors you describe indicate that she definitely has anxiety issues. You might ask your vet about trying anti-anxiety medications or other such medications that are often used to help with behavior modification. Make sure you tell your vet the details of the behavior problems you describe here and any other problem behaviors you see. In addition to medications to help her anxiety, our vet may be able to give you some behavior modification suggestions for her or refer you to a behavior specialist. Medications can make as big a positive difference & help pets with anxiety or other such issues as they do for humans with similar issues. If you want to shut her up at night so she can't tear anything up, put her in an extra large plastic dog crate with her litter, food, water, & bed. She may be calmer at night if you put her crate in your bedroom with you. Good luck!

Lefty answered on 2/19/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer