spay death

1.5 yr. spayed on Wed Sat, eve 10 pm whole incision opened spilling internal organs out.Why? had to drive 40 mi. to emergency hosp and have cat euthanized. This vet said maybe inflammatory response to stitches,body dissolved them way too fast. Any answers.

Asked by Member 663070 on Jul 28th 2008 in Answers

Best Answer

Jingo

Jingo got a similar but much less severe reaction when she was spayed. The incision swelled up and started to come undone at one end. Luckily I got her back into the vets who removed the stitches and used metal staples to hold everything together properly and gave her antibiotics. Everything held together and healed up ok after that.

My vet told me that its rare but some cats are allergic to the stitches and the body reacts strongly against them causing swelling and breakdown of the stitches. Thankfully Jingo had a relatively mild case but it sounds like your cats was much more severe.

So sorry for your loss, especially as you were doing the right thing in getting her spayed.

I know you'll be paranoid the next time you get this done but I'm sure it is very rare. You could also ease your fears by asking your vet to put in a "test stitch" a few weeks before any surgery to make sure there is no reaction.

Jingo answered on Jul 28th.

Answers

Bella (In Loving Memory)

I haven't ever heard of that happening, it sounds like the incision wasn't closed properly :o/ I'm so sorry about your kitty baby :o(

Bella (In Loving Memory) answered on 7/28/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Atrus

That sounds really unusual, but unfortunately sometimes freak things like this happen even if the surgery was done competently and thoroughly. My first kitten died at 8 months while being spayed; they think it was a poor reaction to anesthesia but they were not certain, and she had been under anesthesia before this with no ill effects. Every surgery has its dangers, even if everything is done right and the animal is perfectly healthy. Probably no one was at fault. I'm very sorry for your loss.

Atrus answered on 7/28/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Something like this happened to an associate of mine several yrs. ago...The vet had used the wrong staples from what I understand.
I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your fur friend.
My condolences.

I am so sorry for your loss. What a horrendous thing to have happen to your furbaby. As the others have said, this is very, very rare. I never heard of it happening in all my years of volunteering with an animal rescue who spayed/neutered hundreds of animals before putting them up for adoption. I did see female cats chew their stitches out, however. I wonder if your baby didn't do that, maybe at night when you were asleep? In any case, we here at The Zoo will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Please don' t let this deter you from spaying any future animals...you WERE doing the right thing and the odds are against it ever happening to you again.

I am so sorry for your loss. I had the same thing happen to a 6-7 month old female stray that I did TNR. I had her in my garage during spay recovery. She was confined for about 3 days then when I walked away for just a minute, she jumped out of the window and took off. She came back 2 days later with internal parts coming from her abdomen. I rushed her to the vet. The vet had to remove the lining of her stomach. Euthanisia was an option, but I spent $700 for the surgery. She needed 2 weeks of total confinement without any activity (I kept her crated the entire 2 weeks) and she recovered. I then released her back outside and she never returned. Too much activity/ jumping was thought to be the cause for the incision site opening. She was pregnant when she was spayed and I think that complicated her initial recovery. Was your cat pregnant when she was spayed? If so, perhaps that was an issue in recovery. Again, I'm very sorry about your ordeal.

Kisa

i reacted to my stitches - but not to that extreme. i was mildly swollen & my incision wouldn't heal. the dr gave me a cortozone shot & antibiotics to get me through it. so sorry to hear about your baby!!

Kisa answered on 7/30/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer