Sniffling, sneezing kitty - a couple of questions.

For the past two days, one of my two kitties (he's about 3 years old) has been sneezing and sniffling. The sneezing occurs less out of the two but the sniffling is pretty consistent. There's no eye discharge and he's been eating/drinking as normal.

I've called two vets (as I'm preparing to switch to one closer to home). The one won't have a doctor in until Friday, but walk-ins are welcome, so if it gets worse than the sneezing and sniffling, I'm going to take him then. The earliest the other can see us is Tuesday, so I've made an actual appointment with them.

My couple questions would be these:

1) Can anyone suggest anything that I can do from home to try to alleviate some of his congestion and possibly help to get this to run its course?

2) Should I keep him separate from my other kitty (who is about a year and a half) in the meantime? I don't want them both sick but I'll feel terrible locking him in the bedroom and splitting them up.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Asked by Member 1001022 on Aug 18th 2010 Tagged cold, sniffling, sneezing, sniffles, congestion in Illness & Disease

Answers

Joey

Chances are whatever your poor kitty has, unless it's allergies, your other kitty has already been exposed. It could be a lot of things - I wouldn't worry too much between now and when you see the vet unless your kitty becomes unable to breathe. If he is eating normally and taking fluids, there isn't really anything I would recommend to do at home except watch him. Did you take his temperature? A normal temp is around 101. I wouldn't try to give him anything without the vet's opinion. Just watch him for sudden changes - and especially if he is having trouble breathing. Good Luck.

Joey answered on 8/18/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer