Should I use Lomustine on my cat?

Hampton had a growth removed from the top of her head. It turned out to be high grade lymphoma. The oncologist has suggested putting her on 5 mg prednisone daily and then a round of 10 mg of lomustine every 4 weeks with prior blood work before each dose.
I am worried about negative side effects since at this time she has no signs of illness, no weight loss etc. I have felt a lump in her neck. I am going to the vet to discuss surgical removal of it. I am giving her es clean from petwellbeing.com.
I really don't know what to do.

Asked by Member 974769 on Mar 17th 2010 in Cancer

Answers

Peanut  ( in Loving Memory)

I am so very sorry.
Peanut had lymphoma, sadly it was too late for a prolonged remission when it was finally diagnosed.

One of the chemo drugs was lomustine. It actually worked quite quickly and with few side affects. Before his disease spread this gave him some more time when he was very well. As I recall , after his chemo he seemed more tired for about 2 days, then rallied . The chemo often shows positive results in cats within 2-4 days. If that neck lump is from the lymphoma it may disapear within days of the 1st treatment
If Hampton is still eating well and not acting sick you have a good chance . Peanut was very ill by the time the vets figured out what was really wrong .
Yahoo has a feline lymphoma group that you may find helpful. Also please join here on catster- everyone is very helpful and supportive- it may be just what you need . Best of luck to you and Hampton

Peanut ( in Loving Memory) answered on 3/17/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I'd listen to your oncologist. Lymphoma is highly treatable if its caught early before it spreads into the other organs so you shouldn't wait. Cats tend to react beter to chemo than people and have fewer side effects so Hampton should do well on the meds the vet suggests. Joining a support group is a good idea and Catster also has a cats with cancer group that you could join.