Should i shave my cats hair?

i dont want my cat to shed his fur everywhere so im asking anyone if its possible to shave a cat. just wondering if its safe and all that. thanks

Asked by Member 551251 on Feb 25th 2008 in Grooming

Answers

I have a friend who has her long-haired cat's hair shaved for the summer. (She's an indoor/outdoor cat.) It's possible, but I'd have it done by a professional groomer.

Froto

It is possable, BUT, their fur is there for a reason, one it protects them from sunburn in the summer, cold in the winter. I would consult your vet as to recomandations

Froto answered on 2/25/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

NO DO NOT GET IT SHAVED THE fur IS INPORTENT!

♥Sam

Have you looked into it's diet. Some diets will help reduce shedding and with regular brushing, you maybe able to handle the problem. Unfortunately we all shed even the hoomans. Unless you are a Sphinx

♥Sam answered on 2/25/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I don't think there are any real health issues with shaving a cat. If you shave it so close that it's in danger of sunburn, then you need to tell your groomer that's shaving too close! There is a popular cat cut called a "lion cut" that many people have for their cats. Delilah is a longhaired black kitty and she doesn't like to be groomed. I've considered this cut for her, but will probably just keep trucking away at the mats on her. When we get an animal to live with us, we need to be prepared for what the animal brings with it, and one of these things is shedding. Dogs and cats shed. Period. It's one of the things we have to accept if we want the companionship and unquestioning love of an animal. They have to accept things from US HUMANS as well, right? Get a really good vaccuum and brush and use them a lot. Brush Bandit at least once a day. You can also take him to be groomed and bathed to cut down on the shedding. Animals just do stuff like that!

Cleopatra

I get my cat shaved all the time. Cleo loves it when shes shaved. Very active. I take her to the vet and get what they call a lion cut. Sooo cute. This also helps her because her hair gets so long and matted that it will cause her to get sores if I don't get her groomed.

Cleopatra answered on 2/25/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Poe

Please don't shave your cat's hair. They will appreciate it so much if you don't. If you insist on doing it, I would recommend waiting until summer and have it done by a professional groomer. In the meantime, consider other changes, such as diet and grooming habits. You might want to consider switching your cat to a better diet and see if that helps. Also, there is a brush called the Furmnitator that will cut down on shedding. Explore all other options before deciding to completely shave their hair.

Poe answered on 2/25/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Tabby

I am a Maine Coon and as you know, I have long hair too. My mommie and daddy use the furminator to remove my hair as much as possible. This helps my coat and skin breathe and removes a lot of bad odor from my body. You can use the same too. My mommie says it is not really expensive and its a one time investment and its good for me too.

Tabby answered on 3/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer