Midnight *Rest In Peace*

Should I enter my cat in the local fall fair pet show?

I've been debating about whether or not to enter my cat into an upcoming fall fair cat show, not a formal one, it's more of a happy fair kinda show.
Midnight(my cat who I might be entering) is a glossy black maine coon-mix, who (to me) will be a shoe-in to win. She's friendly, affectionate to almost everybody, and isn't scared of dogs(up close is different though) or people. She's somewhat comfortable in her carrier and often just hangs out in it. She isn't leash trained but she's ok in a harness on a leash, she just doesn't get the concept of walking on the leash like a dog. My family has brought up issues such as "what if she takes off" and "there's no point in entering, really" so that's why I'm on the fence. Comments and/or suggestions would be nice.

Asked by Midnight *Rest In Peace* on Aug 30th 2010 Tagged catshow in Other Travel & Recreation

Best Answer

Lucy

My cats are all very friendly and love people but once you take them out of their comfort zone of home, they are nervous and unhappy. I took Lucy across the street to meet a neighbor who is dying to get a Persian wanted to meet her. However, I went home with 10 little claw marks in my shoulder from where she was holding on. If you think Midnight would not mind the strange environment and you think it would be fun for you to go, then you should take her as long as you can be sure she will be safe and will not escape. I do not personally feel it is worth the risk of illness the other cats might pass on or parasites they might have to expose any of my cats to that environment. Also be prepared for the fact that the judges may not see things the same way you do. I think my Lucy is adorable and her parents are champion show cats, however, she has far too much orange and not enough white to compete in a CFA show and if shown in a "just for fun" pet show it's anybody's guess who will win.

Lucy answered on Aug 30th.

Answers

Our resident breeding and cat show expert, Harvey, can answer this better than I can, but in truth, only you can decide for sure if you want to put your cat through this. Most cats are happiest just being left alone and at home. If she isn't used to being out and around other people and what could be a hectic day, she may become rather anxious. However, if this is something that doesn't take all day and you could accomplish it in just a few hours, why not go for it? I also have a Maine Coon Mix who has much the same personality at Midnight, and I KNOW he is a prize-winner!