Ginoza

Should I bring home another companion cat for my current cat?

My current cat is Ginoza, a two year old neutered male. He was recently adopted from a county shelter this month, and he adjusted very well to his new home--no problems with liter manners, very active and outgoing toward other humans.

But he does have a tendency to be very rambunctious, especially at night. He'll try to wake me up while I'm in three hours of sleep to play (he wrestles with one of my limbs, either arm or leg, despite having access to his toys and other amenities--Water, food, litterbox).

I'm wondering if bringing home a cat his age (maybe between 1 and 3 years?) would help him pass the time while I'm sleeping and/or at work. What gender should his companion be?

note: I've seen him interact with other unknown cats--he tends to watch them, but doesn't "stand his ground" or act too hostile toward them--he appears curious about them, and other animals (like dogs).

Asked by Ginoza on Dec 31st 2012 Tagged companion, anothercat in Socialization

Answers

Annabel

Annabel (Russian), now 8 would not accept a Burmese kitten when she was 4 but later accepted Lulu (Domestic) now 2 and Rupert (Birman) 11mths. Lulu will not accept Rupert, and now intimidates Annabel when she enters the bedroom or wants to get on the bed!

I've learnt that cats are very unpredictable in their acceptance of another cat in the household. Our plan to provide a companion for our cat isn't necessarily their plan - it can work beautifully or it can fail miserably for cats and human.

Ginoza doesn't sound a dominant personality so he would be best with a non-dominant type too. A kitten can be easier to assimilate but in my experience it ultimately depends on the personalities of the resident cat and the newcomer and how you manage the introductions and settling in. These Socialization pages have some good advice for that.

Annabel answered on 1/3/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer