Nova

Shedding issue........

My cat Nova sheds a lot I got her on the 23rd of december and she didnt shed that much. I brush her daily when she is in the mood for it but it doesnt seem to help much. any advice she is eating and drinking doesnt seem to be stressed out. she goes to the potty without any trouble so any advice would be much appriciated. oh and could it be the food im switching foods half science diet half evolve and she seems to be eating the dogs food as well but mostly hers

Asked by Nova on Jan 26th 2013 in Other Grooming

Answers

I wish I could upload a photo of my Husky/Shepherd/Dobie mix to show you. She is black, but she is shedding so much right now, she looks tan! Everything in my house she touches has black fur on it. I try to brush her as often as possible, but the loose fur is winning out here, too. This is the time of year when animals shed the most...now and in spring. Unless Nova has big patches of skin showing through, she's perfectly normal. My cats don't eat my dogs' food, it's the other way around but it just gives my dogs loose stools. It shouldn't cause anybody to shed. If it was allergies, you'd notice other signs as well, like Nova scratching herself a LOT, maybe runny eyes and some wheezing. This is the part of cat/dog ownership that just causes us to keep the vaccum cleaner plugged in and ready. Mine gets a really good workout at this time of year. Shedding can also be caused by dry skin so I put a teaspoon of good quality olive oil in their food a few times a week as well.