Elise

Shaving your cat's hindquarters...

Yes, it's me again with my irritating questions. As some of you may know, I managed to nick Elise in three places when I was grooming her for a cat show. After IMMEDIATE vet treatment, including stitches, she survived a shampoo and the cat show itself--cat shows can be a major source of infection for cats! She had her stitches removed today--no infection, no problem. I have written before that her fur quality is different from that of my other Maine Coons, even though she is related to them. She needs at the very least a good comb out weekly on her hind end to get rid of snarls and Klingons. But another idea is to give her a "hygiene clip." Today, my vet showed me various "shavers" (I don't know the English word--it's "barikan" in Japanese)--and said that the ones meant for humans are cheaper and just as good as those meant for cats. I don't want to cut sweet Elise again, but she does have problems with her Maine Coon britches. Any ideas about shavers?

Asked by Elise on Feb 27th 2010 in Home Grooming

Answers

As someone who was nicked on the ear by a professonal stylist wielding clippers once, I can attest to the fact that that can be just as painful as an accidental scissor cut. However, my son goes on a shaving frenzy each summer and gives himself and his dog a "buzz" cut the same day with the same clippers. Lucky Dog (a lab) is never any worse for wear. I think Elise probably has the same fur on her nether regions as Lily Rose does. EVERYTHING sticks to Lily Rose's rear including litter, "Klingons", price tags, and I even found a twist-tie in there once. I do brush/comb her back there daily., sometimes more often. I keep a brush by my computer and get in a few licks when she jumps up on my lap. Having said all that, we do have our Springer Spaniel, who has a urine leakage problem, shaved back there twice a year, but it's by a professonal groomer as part of her regular grooming regimen.

Gracie

Have you ever tried the furminator? I know that with some pets it doesn't really work well, but it sounds like it was invented for Elise's nether regions.

I clean my cats up in their nether parts (well, Gracie mostly) with unscented baby wipes, sometimes if you do it right it loosens stuff stuck to their fur and then you can comb the fur out... but you have to groom daily for best results.

I find that grooming my two cats daily is the only way I don't run into surprises.

Gracie answered on 2/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer