Regurgitating Hard Food

I have a male, neutered, 9 year old cat. He was recently diagnosed with a pancreatic disordered, treated, and is almost back to normal after 7 years of health problems. I feed him a can food diet primarily, but do need to supplement with dry food for when I am away for class (14 hours days on Thursdays).

From what I have read online, he is regurgitating his food. He has no competition, is used to the food, has no issues with hairballs, and does not eat quickly. I restrict it to no more 1/4 cup of food for the day in a shallow dish.

When we were trying to figure out his health problems before, my dad had come across information about the shape of dry foods and that they traditionally are not compatible with cat's teeth, so they swallow food mostly whole because of the discomfort in chewing. One food that we tried under this idea did help both of our cats (only one now :/ ), but we cannot remember the name nor the shape. I am having a hard time finding the information again. Any ideas?

Asked by Member 1152051 on Jan 26th 2013 Tagged hardfood, reguritation in Pet Food

Answers

There are a few food marketed now that are for cats with sensitive systems. Delilah is on Purina One and it seems to help her. Have you had your kitty's teeth checked? And, since he has had health issues in the past, probably the best authority on what to feed would be your vet. You can also try going to the "forums" here on Catster and asking questions on one of the food pages. Good luck! I hope he's ok fast.