Snickers

Quickly losing weight?

My 4 year old cat has been losing weight. She's always been healthy and a good weight. Lately, I've noticed her looking skinnier and when I pet her, I can feel her bones. I also noticed her coat seems to be a bit oiler and duller. She's eating, drinking, and going to the bathroom the same. I've noticed she's playing a little less with Henry lately but not much of a difference. Any advice of suggestions? Thanks!

Asked by Snickers on Jul 14th 2010 Tagged weightloss, skinny, dullcoat in Illness & Disease

Answers

You should take her to a vet for a check up and ask them to check her thyroid. Hyperthyroid (high thyroid levels that causes weight loss) is very common in older cats and although rare in young cats like Snickers it is a possiblity. Sassy was only 7 when she was diagnosed with hyperthyroid. Weight loss with no obvous cause is definitely worth a trip to the vet. They can do a physical exam to check her teeth are OK, listen to her heart (hyper T often causes a heart murmur to appear), feel if her thyroid is enlarged and generally check for any other possible causes. They can also test her thyroid levels etc via a blood test.

If she is hyperthyroid the vet can give her meds to treat it and once her thyroid is under control she will gain the weight back. It is also possible to cure it with a radioactive iodine treatment which since she is so young would be something to consider. sassy had this and now has normal levels again.

Your cat is a little young to be having any health issues, but she definitely needs to see a vet. Whenever there is a weight loss issue, it is cause for concern. It could be diabetes, kidney disease, or hyperthyroidism. If she is drinking more water and going to the bathroom more, it could be diabetes. If she is just drinking more, it could be kidney related. Like I said, she's a little young to be having these problems, but it needs to be looked into. Best of luck. Hope she is okay.

Chelsea

I absolutely agree with the others, that she needs to see the vet. I went through weight loss with Chelsea and then she was misdiagnosed as Hyper-T (she's only 2)Are you sure Snickers is eating well? What I did not notice was that although Chelsea ran in and apeared to be eating when I first poured food, she was just nibbling and walking away. Try feeding her alone and watching her eat. Although it should be easier to tell since you only have two. After many tests and switching vets, we discovered that Chelsea just didn't like my food anymore. So we offered her some choices until we found a new one they can all eat and she has put 3 lbs back on and is perfectly healthy. I also bought a baby scale and I monitor her constantly. But Snickers should have some blood tests and advice from your vet. Everything I tried with Chelsea was with my vet's advice and support.

Chelsea answered on 7/15/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer